Saturday, September 22, 2007

I am reading a new book

I have been halfway researching the AIDS epidemic for the past year. It is fascinating how a virus can change entire countries. I try to read books that are aimed at Christian responses to this crisis. The AIDS Crisis What we can do by Deborah Dortzbach & W. Meredith Long is a unique book that lists facts while capturing your heart. They present the prejudices that we have against people with this illness. It is nice to read a book that stretches you, and makes you reexamine the assumptions you live by. I have had the attitude for so many years that they get what they deserve. Is that what I think of all sin? I surely have never wanted what I deserve. I want mercy. I have mercy. And then there is the issue of the innocent--faithful wives and children. What do they deserve?


Now just because you reexamine doesn’t mean you change your beliefs, but it is refreshing to know that you have consciously decided to gauge your life by those principles. Should we as Christians proclaim that sin is sin? Yes. But we should be proclaiming that their is freedom from sin just as loudly. I think we tend to forget that part because we want to feel better than everyone else.


Why should we mess with other people’s sin when we don’t have our own under control? You always gain more love for people the more you learn about them. I think is the main point of God calling on us to “visit the orphan.” How can you physically see their plight without becoming moved and compelled to action. It allows you to change your actions along with your heart. So when I confront my ignorance in any area, I gain perspective. And when I seek out the mind of Christ, I gain His perspective and love. And God’s perspective always involves action.


So that is the main point I am taking away from this book. The Church should be acting, not ignoring problems. How that plays out is different for every ministry. But something should be done to show Christ’s love to these hopeless and shunned people. We need to give them hope. Now your passion may not be AIDS, but what is? What people are you loving and showing hope to? Are you ignoring those around you? Are you too comfortable? I have been for so many years. I thought smiling at people was being kind. Loving people is hard work. And I have to have constant reminders to propel me out of my temporary relapses of selfishness.


So here is my own reminder to myself. Look outside your paradigm for needs. When you find them, don’t just read about it, do something. While you are at it, don’t just do something, love....


because needs are people, and people require love.

No comments:

Post a Comment