Monday, March 23, 2009

My first Haiti Mission Trip


Andy and I took a group of college students to Haiti for a mission trip over Spring Break. It was an amazing trip for all of us. Andy’s parents kept the kids for us and my dad recovered from his surgery. So I wasn’t worried about the kids at all. You know that this is half the battle for Moms. We were gone a week and they were entertained the entire time. I was so excited about this trip because I have never been on a mission trip. I have always said I would be a missionary to Africa where you had to drop in from a helicopter. This was the closest I have come to that. And then to top it off, we went to Haiti, a country dear to my heart. We went to an orphanage called Hands and Feet where 38 orphans live. They are located in Jacmel, the Voodoo capital of Haiti. They are taking care of their physical needs while teaching them the truths of the Bible. What an impact these children will have on Haiti when they grow up! I fell in love with the kids and can’t wait to go back. We did hard manual labor while the kids were at school everyday. We basically tilled the ground with pick axes and shovels. We removed rocks that had been left by the hurricanes last year. We sifted rocks out of the dirt for the playground area. The guys dug a septic drain for the kids house. We painted the white buildings and the playground equipment. We swept rocks off the roofs. We worked hard!

To see the photo album click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment