Monday, August 27, 2007

The Best News of Your Life

“Jachin, do you sin? Do you ever do things you aren’t supposed to?”

“Yes” he replied

“The Bible says that the wages of sin is death. Who is Jesus?”

“God’s son”

“Did Jesus ever sin?”

“No” Jachin said emphatically

“Then why did He die on the cross?”

“Well Daddy, He had to die for my sins...”


That is a snippet from the best conversation I have ever had. Jachin has been talking about God, Jesus, and salvation for the last year. I remember his Nana sitting down with him at Ted’s Mexican Restaurant. She was so excited and so wanted him to say the prayer, but Jachin wasn’t ready yet.

A few months ago, Jachin and I had a similar conversation and right before I asked him if he wanted to pray a prayer and ask Jesus into his heart, Jachin looked at me and said, “Am I going to go swimming with Brooks tomorrow?”

Christy was not exempt for this saga, she recently gave me a ‘to do’ list that included:

Custom Water Bottles for College Promotion

Cross for entry of the College Building

Jachin’s baptism

Haiti video

Babysitter list

We were all reacting to Jachin’s openness to talking about God. He is very in tune with spiritual matters and he loves talking about it. We didn’t want to push him, so we tried to be patient and give Jachin the opportunity to work it out with God.

Last night the PM service started with a baptism. Jachin asked me if he could do that. I told him that baptism is a way that we show everybody at the church that we have accepted Jesus as our Lord and Savior. Jachin said he wanted to do that. So after the music part of the service, and the sermon, Jachin was waiting for the invitation. Because we had the Lord’s Supper, we didn’t have an alter call, we just started the Lord’s Supper.

Jachin asked if he could take the Lord’s Supper and I said no, because it is for those of us that have accepted Jesus and we do it to remember what Jesus did on the cross.

The service ended and then Jachin’s buddy Brooks came up to us and asked us what we were talking about, and I said, “We are talking about being a Christian”

Brooks said, “I am a Christian, I just haven’t been baptized yet.” Jachin then said that he wanted to be a Christian, then he saw another of his friends and ran off to say hi.

Christy asked me after the service if Jachin had become a Christian because she and Susan had heard us talking and Susan was diligently praying for Jachin the whole service.

The aforementioned conversation happened as Jachin went to bed. He prayed and asked Jesus to come into his heart and he thanked God for forgiving his sins.

I was saved when I was five and watching Jachin take this step was so encouraging to me. I don’t remember the details, but I got to be a part of the details of Jachin. He may not remember all the conversations, but he will have this blog to remind him and see how many people were praying for him and waiting for the day that he asked Jesus to save him.

Today was great. Jachin walked into our room singing a song “I am a Christian, I am a Christian”. He made it up himself. When I took him to school, he told me he will always be a Christian because it “doesn’t wash off”.

He talked to his Mimi, Pa, Nana, Papa, Grandmother & Papa Cross, Jeremy, Melissa, Jenny, Jacob and apparently everyone in Mrs. Hughes class!

I’ll end this blog with Jachin’s first sentence to all of them...


‘I have the best news of your life....”


Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment